Everything you need to know about Yaoyao in Genshin Impact
Can I get a Yaoyao right nownow?
Genshin Impact has a massive roster. Though the game includes more than 40 characters already, developer HoYoverse continues to add more with each successive update every six weeks, like the recent release of Version 3.3. But even with loads of new content being released at the beginning of 2023, there’s still plenty of interest in rumors and leaks about future expansions and characters. One new character that might finally be making her debut is Yaoyao, who was leaked as far back as Version 2.3.
Here’s everything we know about Yaoyao, the latest Dendro 4-star.
When is the Genshin Impact Yaoyao release date?
Yaoyao is expected to arrive in Genshin Impact 3.4 with Alhaitham.
HoYoverse hasn’t confirmed her release date, but she was featured in the latest character previews on the developers’ socials. It’s unclear whether she will run in the first batch of banners starting in mid-January or in the second batch.
What are Yaoyao’s abilities in Genshin Impact?
Yaoyao wields a polearm, contrary to early leaks that said she would be a catalyst user. Her playstyle takes after one of her mentors, Xiangling. Like Xiangling’s Guoba, Yaoyao has an animal helper called Yuegui that helps her apply Dendro DMG to enemies.
Here are her current Elemental Skill, Elemental Burst, and passive descriptions from Project Amber.
Raphanus Sky Cluster (Elemental Skill)
Her skill calls upon "Yuegui: Throwing Mode," a special device created by a certain adeptus to help Yaoyao solve her problems. It can adjust the throw direction with an “Aiming Mode” when held.
Yuegui: Throwing Mode
Yaoyao throws out White Jade Radishes that explode upon hitting characters or opponents, dealing Dendro DMG to opponents within a certain AoE, and healing characters within that same AoE based on Yaoyao's Max HP. If a radish doesn’t hit either an opponent or a character, the radish remains where it is and explodes on contact with a character or opponent, or explodes after its duration expires.
Yuegui: Throwing Mode chooses its radish-throw targets.
- If all nearby characters have more than 70 percent HP remaining, then it throws the radish at a nearby opponent.
- If nearby characters have 70 percent or less HP remaining, it t a radish at the character with the lowest HP percentage remaining. If no opponents exist nearby, Yuegui will throw White Jade Radishes at characters even if they all have more than 70 percent HP remaining.
A maximum of 2 instances Yuegui: Throwing Mode can exist at any one time.
Moonjade Descent (Elemental Burst)
At the enjoinment of a certain adeptus, Yuegui's full potential can be unleashed in an emergency, dealing Dendro DMG to nearby opponents and entering an (in some sense) unsurpassed Adeptal Legacy state.
- White Jade Radishes generated will be changed to heal and deal DMG according to this skill. Explosions will heal all nearby party members, and the Dendro DMG that they deal will be viewed as Elemental Burst DMG.
- Summons "Yuegui: Jumping Mode" at intervals until their limit has been reached. The behavior of this version of Yuegui is the same as that of "Yuegui: Throwing Mode" in the Elemental Skill, Raphanus Sky Cluster. A maximum of 3 Yuegui: Jumping Mode can exist at any one time.
- Yaoyao's Movement SPD is increased by 15 percent.
- Yaoyao's Dendro RES will be increased.
The Adeptal Legacy state will end once Yaoyao is off-field, and all remaining Yuegui: Jumping Mode will be cleared once this state ends.
What are Yaoyao’s passive abilities in Genshin Impact?
- Starscatter (Ascension Passive): While affected by the Adeptal Legacy state caused by Moonjade Descent, Yaoyao will constantly throw White Jade Radishes at nearby opponents when she is sprinting, jumping, or running. She can throw 1 White Jade Radish this way once every 0.6s.
- In Others’ Shoes (Ascension Passive): When White Jade Radishes explode, active characters within their AoE will regain HP every 1s based on 0.8% of Yaoyao's Max HP. This effect lasts 5s.
- Tailing on Tiptoes (Party Skill): When Yaoyao is in the party, your characters will not startle Crystalflies and certain other animals when getting near them. Check the "Other" sub-category of the "Living Beings / Wildlife" section in the Archive for creatures this skill works on.
What are Yaoyao’s constellations in Genshin Impact?
Yaoyao’s leaked constellations on Project Amber seem to further her utility as a Dendro support. Here’s the full list:
- Level 1: Adeptus’ Tutelage - When White Jade Radishes explode, active characters within their AoE will gain 15 percent Dendro DMG Bonus for 8 seconds and have 15 Stamina restored to them. This form of Stamina Restoration can only be triggered every 5 seconds.
- Level 2: Innocent - While affected by the Adeptal Legacy state caused by Moonjade Descent (Elemental Burst), if White Jade Radish explosions damage opponents, 3 Energy will be restored to Yaoyao. This form of Energy regeneration can occur once every 0.8 seconds.
- Level 3: Loyal and Kind - Increases the level of Raphanus Sky Cluster (Elemental Skill) by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 4: Winsome - After using Raphanus Sky Cluster (Elemental Skill) or Moonjade Descent (Elemental Burst), Yaoyao's Elemental Mastery will be increased based on 0.3 percent of her Max HP for 8 seconds. The maximum Elemental Mastery she can gain this way is 120.
- Level 5: Compassionate - Increases the level of Moonjade Descent (Elemental Burst) by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 6: Beneficent - When Yuegui: Throwing Mode throws out a White Jade Radish, there is a 50 percent chance that it will throw out a Mega Radish that will have a larger AoE than the standard White Jade Radish and have the following effects upon exploding: 1) Deals AoE Dendro DMG based on 75 percent of Yaoyao's ATK. 2) Restores HP for the active character based on 7.5 percent of Yaoyao's Max HP. Every Yuegei: Throwing Mode can throw out a maximum of 2 Mega Radishes.
What is the Genshin Impact Yaoyao story?
Yaoyao is Madame Ping’s disciple, the old adeptus lady who gives the Traveler the Serenitea Pot. She also receives mentorship from Xiangling and Ganyu to a lesser extent.
Ningguang describes Yaoyao as “the girl that Ganyu took under her wing.” Meanwhile, Ganyu’s voice lines make it sound like she was tasked with keeping Yaoyao out of trouble. In Xiangling’s voice lines, she describes being a senior chef to Yaoyao under the same master chef. Though it seems Yaoyao has been distracted from her studies recently.
“I'm proud to call her a fellow chef! She hasn't swung by the Wanmin Restaurant in ages, though,” says Xiangling.
Yaoyao also seems keen on adventuring. Beidou’s voice lines mention that Yaoyao regularly journeys on her pirate ship, the Crux.
This article was originally published on